Depression, Suicidal Ideation, and Substance Use Among Adolescents
Are Athletes at Less Risk?
Michael J. Oler, MD;
Arch G. Mainous III, PhD;
Catherine A. Martin, MD;
Eric Richardson, MD;
Amy Haney, MD;
David Wilson, MD;
Thomas Adams, MD
Arch Fam Med. 1994;3(9):781-785.
Article references have been provided for searching and linking. Additional reference information may be available in the article PDF.
1. US Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2000: National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives: Full Report, With Commentary. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 1991:13-18. US Dept of Health and Human Services publication PHS 91-505212.
2. Millstein SG, Irwin CE Jr, Adler NE, Kegeles SM, Dolcini MM. Health-risk behaviors and health concerns among young adolescents. Pediatrics. 1992;89:422-428.
FREE FULL TEXT
3. Newcomb MD, Bentler PM. Consequences of Adolescent Drug Use. Newbury Park, Calif: Sage Publishers Inc; 1988. 4. Swanson JW, Linsky AO, Quintero-Salinas R, Pumariega AJ, Holzer CE III. A binational survey of depressive symptoms, drug use, and suicidal ideation. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1992;31:669-678.
5. Crumley FE. Substance abuse and adolescent suicidal behavior. JAMA. 1990;263:3051-3056.
FREE FULL TEXT
6. Brent DA, Perper J, Moritz G, Baugher M, Allman C. Suicide in adolescents with no apparent psychopathology. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1993;32:494-500.
7. Wughalter EH, Gondola JC. Mood states of professional female tennis players. Percept Mot Skills. 1991;73:187-190.
8. Mastro JV, Sherrill C, Gench B, French R. Psychological characteristics of elite visually-impaired athletes: the Iceberg Profile. J Sport Behav. 1987;10:39-46.
9. Tharion WJ, Strowman SR, Rauch TM. Profile and changes in moods of ultramarathoners. J Sports Exerc Psychol. 1988;10:229-235.
10. LeUnes A, Nation JR. Saturday's heroes: a psychological portrait of college football players. J Sport Behav. 1982;5:139-149.
11. Daino A. Personality traits of adolescent tennis players. Int J Sports Psychol. 1985;16:120-125.
12. Puffer JC, McShane JM. Depression and chronic fatigue in athletes. Clin Sports Med. 1992;11:327-338.
13. Lidstone JE, Amundson ML, Amundson LH. Depression and chronic fatigue in the high school student and athlete. Prim Care. 1991;18:283-296.
14. Choquet M, Kovess V, Poutignat N. Suicidal thoughts among adolescents: an intercultural approach. Adolescence. 1993;28:649-659.
15. Escobedo LG, Marcus SE, Holtzman D, Giovino GA. Sports participation, age at smoking initiation, and the risk of smoking among US high school students. JAMA. 1993;269:1391-1395.
FREE FULL TEXT
16. McGraw SA, Smith KW, Schensul JJ, Carrillo JE. Sociocultural factors associated with smoking behavior by Puerto Rican adolescents in Boston. Soc Sci Med. 1991;33:1355-1364.
17. Connolly GN, Orleans CT, Blum A. Snuffing tobacco out of sport. Am J Public Health. 1992;82:351-353.
18. Overman SJ, Terry T. Alcohol use and attitudes: a comparison of college athletes and nonathletes. J Drug Educ. 1991;21:107-117.
19. Nattiv A, Puffer JC. Lifestyles and health risks of collegiate athletes. J Fam Pract. 1991;33:585-590.
20. Kovacs M. Rating scales to assess depression in school-aged children. Acta Paedopsychiatr. 1980;46:305-315.
21. Strosahl K, Linehan M, Chiles J. Will the real social desirability please stand up? hopelessness, depression, social desirability, and the prediction of suicidal behavior. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1984;52:449-457.
22. Zung W. Index of Potential Suicide (IPS): a rating scale for suicide prevention. In: Beck AT, Resnick HLP, Lettieri DJ, eds. The Prediction of Suicide. Bowie, Md: Charles Press Publishers Inc; 1974:221-249. 23. Cole DA. Validation of the reasons for living inventory in general and delinquent adolescent samples. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 1989;17:13-27.
24. Adams PF, Benson V. Current Estimates From the National Health Interview Survey, 1991. Hyattsville, Md: National Center for Health Statistics; 1992:179-181. Vital and Health Statistics publication 10(184). 25. Johnston LD, O'Malley PM, Bachman JG. Smoking, Drinking, and Illicit Drug Use Among American Secondary School Students, College Students, and Young Adults, 1975-1991. Rockville, Md: National Institute on Drug Abuse; 1992;1:33-53. National Institutes of Health publication 93-3480.
26. Salk L, Lepsitt LP, Sturner WQ, Reilly BM, Levat RH. Relationship of maternal and perinatal condition in eventual adolescent suicide. Lancet. 1985;1:624-627.
27. Brent DA. Overrepresentation of epileptics in a consecutive series of suicide attempts seen at a children's hospital, 1978-1983. J Am Acad Child Psychiatry. 1986;25:242-246.
28. Usdin E, Bunney WE, Kline NS. Endorphins in Mental Health Research. New York, NY: Oxford University Press Inc; 1979:500-528. 29. Jessor R, Jessor SL. Problem Behavior and Psychosocial Development: A Longitudinal Study of Youth. New York, NY: Academic Press Inc; 1977. 30. Rutter M. Psychosocial resilience and protective mechanisms. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 1987;57:316-331.
31. Melnick MJ, Sabo DF, Vanfossen B. Educational effects of interscholastic athletic participation on African-American and Hispanic youth. Adolescence. 1992;27:297-308.