Third-Trimester Maternal Psychosocial Factors and Infants' Home Stimulation
A Prospective Study
John M. Pascoe, MD, MPH;
Joyce French, RN, PhD
Arch Fam Med. 1993;2(6):624-627.
Article references have been provided for searching and linking. Additional reference information may be available in the article PDF.
1. Belsky J. The determinants of parenting: a process model. Child Dev. 1984;55:83-96.
2. Holbrook RH, Laros RK, Creasy RK. Evaluation of a risk-scoring system for prediction of preterm labor. Am J Perinatol. 1989;6:62-68.
3. Bowlby J. A Secure Base. New York, NY: Basic Books Inc Publishers; 1988. 4. Thoman E, Browder S. Born Dancing. New York, NY: Harper & Row Publishers Inc; 1987. 5. Bradley RH, Caldwell BM. Using the HOME inventory to assess the family environment. Pediatr Nurs. 1988;14:97-102.
6. Crockenberg S, McCluskey K. Change in maternal behavior during the baby's first year of life. Child Dev. 1986;57:746-753.
7. Pascoe J, Loda F, Jeffries V, Earp J. The association between mothers' social support and provision of stimulation to their children. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 1981;2:15-19.
8. Pascoe JM, Earp JA. The effect of mothers' social support and life changes on the stimulation of children in the home. Am J Public Health. 1984;74:358-360.
FREE FULL TEXT
9. Dunst CJ, Vance SD, Cooper CS. A social systems perspective of adolescent pregnancy: determinants of parent and parent-child behavior. Infant Mental Health J. 1986;7:34-48.
10. Stevens JH. Social support, locus of control, and parenting in three low-income groups of mothers: black teenagers, black adults, and white adults. Child Dev. 1988;59:635-642.
11. Hannan K, Luster T. Influence of parent, child, and contextual factors on the quality of the home environment. Infant Mental Health J. 1991;12:17-30.
12. Affleck G, Tennen H, Allen DA, Gershman K. Perceived social support and maternal adaption during the transition from hospital to home care of high-risk infants. Infant Mental Health J. 1986;7:6-18.
13. Abernathy V. Social network and response to the maternal role. Int J Sociol Fam. 1973;3:86-92.
14. Powell D. Social network and demographic predictors of length of participation in a parent education program. J Community Psychol. 1984;12:13-20.
15. Belsky J. Child maltreatment: an ecological integration. Am Psychol. 1980;35:320-335.
16. Parke R. Socialization into child abuse: a social interactional perspective. In: Tapp J, Levine F, eds. Law, Justice, and the Individual in Society: Psychological and Legal Issues. New York, NY: Holt Rinehart & Winston; 1977:183-197. 17. Pascoe JM, Walsh N. Construct validity of the maternal social support index. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 1982;3:122.
18. Boger RP, Richter R, Kurnetz R, Hass B. Perinatal positive parenting: a follow-up evaluation. Infant Mental Health J. 1986;7:132-145.
19. Hoffman Y, Drotar D. The impact of postpartum depressed mood on mother-infant interaction: like mother like baby? Infant Mental Health J. 1991;12:65-80.
20. Field T. Early interactions between infants and their postpartum depressed mothers. Infant Behav Dev. 1984;7:527-532.
21. Radloff LS. The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Appl Psychol Meas. 1977;1:385-401.
22. Pascoe JM, Ialongo N, Horn W, Reinhardt MA. The reliability and validity of the Maternal Social Support Index. Fam Med. 1988;20:271-275.
23. Pascoe JM, French J. The reliability and validity of the Maternal Social Support Index for primiparous mothers. Fam Med. 1990;22:228-230.
24. Spanier GB. Measuring dyadic adjustment: new scales for assessing the quality of marriage and similar dyads. J Marriage Fam. 1976;38:15-28.
25. SAS Institute, Inc. SAS/STAT User's Guide: Release 6.03. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc; 1988. 26. Hollingshead AB. Four Factor Index of Social Status. New Haven, Conn: Yale University Press; 1975. 27. Dunst CJ, Trivetter CM. Assessment of social support in early intervention programs. In: Meisels SJ, Shonkoff JP, eds. Handbook of Early Childhood Intervention. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press; 1990:326-349. 28. Turner RJ, Grandstaff CF, Phillips N. Social support and outcome in teenage pregnancy. J Health Soc Behav. 1990;31:43-57.
29. The Infant Health and Development Program. Enhancing the outcome of low-birth-weight, premature infants: a multisite, randomized trial. JAMA. 1990;263:3035-3042.
FREE FULL TEXT