Physician Characteristics Affecting Referral Decisions Following an Exercise Tolerance Test
Arthur Hartz, MD, PhD;
Raisa Deber, PhD;
Mary Bartholomew, MS;
John Midtling, MD, MS
Arch Fam Med. 1993;2(5):513-519.
To examine whether physician background and attitudes were related to the decision to refer a patient with chronic angina to a cardiologist following the results of an exercise tolerance test.
Mailed questionnaire asking family physicians and internists how they would make referral decisions for a patient with classic angina in a detailed case vignette.
Two hundred sixty-five family physicians and 105 internists.
Physician referral decisions following results of an exercise tolerance test.
Only 15% of the respondents believed that the patient should have been directly referred for cardiac catheterization without conducting an exercise tolerance test previously. Data on the remaining 85% of physicians were analyzed to identify factors influencing referral decisions. These physicians were significantly more likely to refer a patient if they were concerned about a lawsuit (68% vs 53% following a test result suggesting coronary disease and 40% vs 24% following a normal test result). Referral decisions were significantly more likely to be changed on the basis of the test result if the test was administered to determine the need for cardiac catheterization (50% vs 34%) or if the physician was a family practitioner rather than an internist (47% vs 24%). A physician's number of years in practice, experience with patients with angina, and board certification were not associated with referral decisions.
Many physicians with very different attitudes and backgrounds order diagnostic tests for reasons other than to make referral decisions. This problem appeared to be less prevalent among family physicians than internists, and it may partly be due to fear of lawsuits or lack of knowledge about how the test should be used.
From the Division of Health Services Research (Dr Hartz) and the Department of Family Medicine (Dr Midtling), Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee; the Department of Health Administration, University of Toronto, Ontario (Dr Deber); and the Department of Statistics, Hershey (Pa) Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University (Ms Bartholomew).
THIS ARTICLE HAS BEEN CITED BY OTHER ARTICLES
Physicians' Judgments of Survival After Medical Management and Mortality Risk Reduction Due to Revascularization Procedures for Patients With Coronary Artery Disease*
Poses et al.
| FULL TEXT
Novel Internet-based Tool for Correcting Apparent Sensitivity and Specificity of Diagnostic Tests to Adjust for Referral (Verification) Bias
Danias and Parker
| FULL TEXT
What Influences Physician Practice Behavior? An Interview Study of Physicians Who Received Consultative Geriatric Assessment Recommendations
Maly et al.
Arch Fam Med 1996;5:448-454.
Exercise Tolerance Test: The Decision to Refer
Arch Fam Med 1993;2:1221-1222.